Tom Flynn mixes the next in the Strictly Rhythms compilation series
As we liked what Tom did with his remix of Sol Brothers Vs Kathy Brown’s Turn Me Out (Turn To Sugar) that featured on the Strictly Summer compilation, it seemed rude not to let him loose with his own single release. The burgeoning Brummie producer repays the faith with this rumbling, percussive and minimal DC 10 workout that might contain the odd vocal snippet, but nothing you could consider operatic.
To follow the single we can now announce Tom Flynn will be compiling Volume 8 of the Strictly Rhythms series.
Tom Flynn comes to us with a fistful of credentials – not only has he graced the likes of labels like Dirtybird, Size and Deadfish with his productions, Pete Tong gave him Best Break Through Producer of 2010 and named his track Bianca as Essential New Tune. Let loose on Strictly’s vast and varied collection of tracks, Flynn follows previous Strictly Rhythms selectors Michel Cleis, Charles Webster and Radio Slaves in fine style, choosing a session of lesser-known gems and underground goodies augmented by a clutch of his own edits plus a brand new Tom Flynn production in Opera House. Armand Van Helden’s Nrongo Ra Mrongo, Danny Tenaglia’s awesome Equinox by Code 718 and the Lil Louis and Louie Vega collaboration, Freaky by Lou2 are resplendent in their original forms, while among the re-edits are Muevete Mama by Afro Cube (aka Murk’s Oscar G), Sir James’ Special, Hardrive’s Sindae, The Believers’ Who Dares To Believe In Me? and South St Player’s Who Keeps Changing Your Mind? Tom’s mix is a consummate addition to the series.
Tom Flynn comments "When I first got into house music, I spent most of my teenage years in record shops hunting for the best house music I could find. After hearing numerous Strictly Rhythm records on people like Danny Rampling’s LGDP show, it was clear that was where the quality was.
I can honestly say the first label I would look for as soon as I went in a record store was Strictly Rhythm. I thought I had a lot of Strictly records, and knew a lot about the label, until I came to do this mix and was granted access to the entire back catalogue - WOW!
There are records here that were made 15 years ago that don't sound out of place in today’s sets. I could quite easily have done 8 different compilations given the amount of quality I had to choose from, but I wanted to do a mix that reflected what I looked for in music back then, and even now to this day.
You won't hear the obvious big records on here, Ultra Nate, Lil Mo Ying Yang etc, I wanted it to be more about the deeper, underground quality that this label has provided since its creation back in 1989.
I hope you enjoy the mix and have as much fun listening and dancing to it as I did making it! See you on the dancefloor!”
- 1.Chronic Sounds ‘Evelin's Basement’ (Groove Mix)
- 2. After Hours ‘Feel It’ (The Salso Mix)
- 3. Afro-Cube ‘Muevete Mama’ (Tom Flynn Strictly Rhythms Edit) **
- 4. Armand Van Helden ‘Nrongo Ra Mrongo’
- 5. Club Ultimate ‘Carnival 93 (The Erick “More” Mix)
- 6. Colonel Abrams ‘Victim Of Loving You’ (Gloo Factory Mix)
- 7. Sir James ‘Special’ (Tom Flynn Strictly Rhythms Edit) **
- 8. Lou2 ‘Freaky’ (The Zanzibar Mix)
- 9. Adrian Mezsi & Jared Dietch ‘Ouufff’ (Tom Flynn Remix)
- 10. Robbie Rivera ‘Feel This’ (Robbie Rivera’s Original Mix)
- 11. Bass Hitt feat. Dreamgirl Veee ‘U.K. One Day’ (That Over Night Thang Mix)
- 12. Krimp ‘In The Spirit’ (In The Spirit Mix)
- 13. The Untouchables ‘Go Bah!’ (Los Africanos) (Muthafuckin Mastermix)
- 14. Hardrive feat. L.G. ‘Sindae’ (Tom Flynn Strictly Rhythms Edit) **
- 15. Rhythm Masters ‘Spanish Ritual’ (The Underground Mix)
- 16. Smooth Touch ‘House Of Love’ (Tom Flynn Strictly Rhythms Edit) **
- 17. The Believers ‘Who Dares To Believe In Me?' (Tom Flynn Strictly Rhythms Edit) **
- 18. South Street Player ‘(Who?) Keeps Changing Your Mind’ (Tom Flynn Strictly Rhythms Edit) **
- 19. Tom Flynn ‘Opera House’ (Original)
- 20. Sol Brothers vs Kathy Brown ‘Turn Me Out’ (Turn To Sugar) (Tom Flynn Remix)
- 21. Code 718 ‘Equinox’ (The Original Concept)
- DJ Deluxe version includes Tom Flynn’s Bonus DJ Mix
- ** Denotes Exclusive Tracks
Tom Flynn Presents Strictly Rhythms Volume 8 is out November 29th.